2010年6月9日星期三

9/6/2010

I met with an chinese contractor today. For 3 months I had been here in my office, first time I met a chinese during my office hours. How rare is that?

To her surprised, she never imagined a young people like me is actually working for the government. She was expecting a mid 40s officer when she was told by her friend in our department that her "Penolong Pengarah" is a chinese.

"Why are you here?", she asked as to fulfill her curiosity. Then, I had to go all over again to explain the reason why I am here. The scholarship, the bond, and the "no-choiceness". However, she encouraged me. "I believe in you." Seriously, there's first time I heard this from a total stranger. "Sorry, man. I think I might failed you", that's what I thought inside my head.

At the end of this meeting, I was sad to tell them that they are not qualified for the tender as they have no "Bumiputera" status. So much goes to the government policy. I make it clear to her that her chance is at minimal. So, I personally didn't encourage her to take on the project. She is also glad that I been honest with her.

One more interesting thing with this meeting is her brother who came along with her who looks very familiar to me. I kept looking at him, but of course not staring at him lah. But seriously, I had met him somewhere. I asked him whether he is a artist. He laughed, "Impossible!!".

Overall, it feels good to be able to converse in mandarin in office and met with them. So, basically we are talking alien language which only 3 of us understand. Haha. Luckily, my fluency in mandarin is still good.

Too bad, i didn't take their contacts down. I should have to do that. You know, making friends with all walks of life. Maybe someday I need a tour guide in Seremban and who knows they might be the one.

Until then....

1 条评论:

Jen 说...

yalor..shud get number from them.. wasted! wait another opportunity ba... +u oh!!